Child dental care is all about maintaining healthy gums, teeth and tongue of the child. Average timeline for baby’s teething is between 6 to 7 months. Few babies cut their teeth very early like when they are 3 to 4 months old and few babies have to wait until 12 months of age. Though baby teeth are the primary teeth and they are not permanent, a lot of care to be taken in maintaining their health and hygiene. Because the primary teeth provide the basement for permanent teeth and they also promote the nutrition to the baby through chewing food. Primary teeth also provide the basement of child dental care for a lifetime. Maintaining the dental care of a baby by regular brushing and frequent flossing is very important. Brushing twice a day is a must. Always encourage children to brush their teeth before going to bed to clean the sticky carbohydrates that may hide in between their tooth. As most children tend to eat a lot of chocolates, sweets and foods made of refined sugar, they have a high risk of cavities and also ruins the child’s good dental care practices. These dental diseases at early ages of life affect the health and well being of a child dental care. Using Fluoridated toothpaste under the guidelines of the pediatric dentist is very important, as the fluorine coats a thin layer on top of tooth enamel and prevents them from decaying.
Tips to Maintain Good Dental Care:
Wean baby from bottle or sippy cup and encourage them to drink milk and water from a tumbler.
● Never use children spoons and bottles as the bacteria present in adults mouth transmits to a baby through saliva resulting in mouth disorders and cavities.
● Always feed the baby with a nutritious diet and diet rich in Vitamin C, which helps in building stronger teeth.
● Avoid giving sweets, refined sugar, sticky foods like raisins, peanut butter, lots of carbohydrates as they combine with the plaque on tooth resulting in acids. These acids
cause tooth decay.
● Start flossing your children starting from the age of 4. It removes the plaque present in between tooth which brushing may miss sometimes.
● Schedule regular dental check-ups
Finally, mouth reflects the health and well-being of the child. So, help him in maintaining and following good dental care practices. Thus help in your child’s happy smile and healthy teeth for the lifetime.